Little Nana.

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
flux
Elite Member
Elite Member

Little Nana.

Post by flux » September 17th, 2013, 10:53 am

The book between us has
a hard cover and it fits
neatly into our small hands;
the age spots on Little
Nana's hands and face are
like splashes of yellow-
brown paint.

On Little Nana's sofa-bed
beside a black cast iron fire place
Nana opens our book of children's rhymes;
we read and I take in more words
than I would usually take in.
While we read I cannot catch fire
or break something:
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]often
I am mesmerized by
the brass and china ornaments
on the mantelpiece and I stray
too close to the fire
in the hearth.
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]I ask, once, why
Little Nana sleeps beside the fire
and not with Granddad in his iron bed?
I can see the tall-backed wooden chair,
painted maroon red, on the other side
of the hearth--
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]I cannot sit
there, that is Granddad's chair.

Little Nana turns the page.
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]'da DUM
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]da DUM
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]da DUM
[space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space][space][/space]da DUM.'
I take in more words
and I hold them in until leopard spots
bloom on my own face and hands.
Last edited by flux on September 24th, 2013, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Make fellow poets happy and comment on their poems.

ImageImageImageImage

BloodyTears

Re: Little Nana.

Post by BloodyTears » September 18th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Very nice. Nostalgic feeling. I was never blessed to have a Nana like this so it was a blessing to get to feel that feeling for a moment while reading.

dwells
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by dwells » September 18th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Bloody marvelous and some secrets will go to the grave as should be fitting. An economy of words that say so much with a child-like elegance, cheers!

Flux - just noticed the Zz's at the end, perfect, Dan! (and you're not old until those spots coalesce!)
Last edited by dwells on September 2nd, 2014, 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage Image

allmirth
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by allmirth » September 20th, 2013, 9:26 pm

This is so wonderfully put together with precise and intimately personal details. I like the idea of the taking in of words. It seems the moments being described planted the seeds, which grew the poet. Much enjoyed.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Mirthy :lovey:

karrie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by karrie » October 19th, 2013, 8:43 am

Wonderful descriptions in this it felt as if I were in the room. Wonderful write.

Jovel320
Elite Member
Elite Member
Location: Spellbound by the riches of life and the infinite wisdom of nature

Post by Jovel320 » September 1st, 2014, 10:19 am

Very enjoyable piece and a fantastic look at a child's interpretation of his surroundings. Well done!!!
Jovel

JASON
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JASON » September 2nd, 2014, 10:48 am

you are still too young for age spots.
Seems to be the norm for our generation and those older:
sweet grannies and tyrant grandfathers - those were the days
when the man ruled the household! (how things have changed)

SilentTears

Post by SilentTears » September 14th, 2017, 10:22 pm

I loved how introspective and nostalgic this was. It's an immersive story and it's fantastic to look at the goings-on through the eyes of a child. Well done, great flow and I adored the structure. It really took it to the next level for me.

I let the sun on my skin.
Pretend I don't burn
I'm not burning here.
I just lay ash
On my eyelids,
And rub it deep into my
Bones.

6x winner of:

My Poet File

Josie

Post by Josie » September 18th, 2017, 12:34 am

My 'Little Nana' was a Mrs. Flores who told me stories and rocked me to sleep in front of her fireplace. While I lived with her I have no memories of ever going upstairs. I woke up in the morning wondering how I ever made it to my bed. Your poem brought back wonderful memories.

Image Image