The “You believe in Santa?!?” Conversation

An archive containing past featured spotlight works, what we consider, some of the best works on TPS. Feel free to leave comments.
Dana Renee

Post by Dana Renee » December 12th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Author's Note: This was written for a writing challenge called “Santa’s Got The Flu”, hosted by TPS (on the old site) in 2010. I came across this today while looking at some old poems and thought I'd share. Hope you like!

SALLY

“I don’t understand…You’re a grown woman. How can you possibly believe in Santa?!?”

JAN

“Okay, FINE!! I’ll tell you why I believe in Santa, but I seriously doubt you’ll believe anything I say!”

(Sally giggled.)

“The other day, an unimaginable challenge came my way. ‘You’d hafta see it to believe it.’, is an understatement – to say the least. I was up late one night (you know me). The kids were sound asleep, as I was enjoying some ‘me time’, snuggled in my bed with a good book.”

(Sally smiled, thinking about her own ‘me time’.)

“I heard a loud shuffling somewhere near the house. My heart started pounding as I tried, unsuccessfully to calm myself down, thinking, ‘Maybe its the leaves blowing around??’. I tried to keep reading; my bed was SO cozy and I didn’t wanna check, but the noises were getting louder.”

(Sally examined Jan skeptically.)

“Finally, I got up, my cell phone in one hand, that tazor I just bought in the other, and started down the hall. I kept the lights out and crept around looking out the windows. I was wearing those stinkin bright yellow pajama pants of all things; what an easy target, huh?”

(Sally giggled, a hint of skepticism still visible in her eyes.)

“I about peed my pants, when I saw a HIM at the window, all red and white and freakishly jolly, saying loudly, ‘Ho, Ho, Ho!!’. I stood there for a few seconds with my mouth open, thinking, ‘Wonderful. Some psycho has come to terrorize me and my kids.'”

(Sally grew serious at the thought.)

“Then he disappeared, but INTO my living room, like right in front of me! Of course, I dropped the tazor and my cell phone! It was dead silent for all of two seconds. Then I started screaming like a woman about to die, until he calmly put his white-gloved hand on my shoulder and said, ‘Don’t worry my dear.’

I’ll tell you, no books, shopping malls or cartoons could ever get him right. He was the most amazing, wonderful thing I’ve ever seen! Except…something just wasn’t right…he looked weary…and worried. I wondered what could possibly be wrong with such a magical legend as him!”

(Sally’s eyes were now wide in wonder, belief creeping in.)

“‘Wow, what do you do when Santa comes for a visit?!’, I thought. I told him to sit down, started offering him cookies, milk, hot chocolate…stuttering like crazy all the while. He politely refused, saying he didn’t think his stomach could handle it.

To my astonishment, he went on to tell me that he couldn’t deliver Christmas this year, that he needed MY help. Without thinking, I said, ‘Dude, what did you just say? Oh wow, I need a moment to process this…’ I was jabbering like a fool.”

(Sally just stared at Jan; she seemed on the verge of freaking out herself.)

“He put his hand on my shoulder again, and everything seemed to fall into place. This was my purpose, my once-in-a-never-lifetime Christmas calling…Can you believe it? I’m gonna be Santa for a night? Wanna join me? Come on! It’ll be fun! You can shrink down the chimneys and vents with me!! Hahaha….you could be my ELF!”

(Sally sneered, and then laughed excitedly with a twinkle in her eyes.)

SALLY

“I am SO there!!!”

:bigsmile:
Last edited by Dana Renee on December 12th, 2014, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Poet File

Publications
Peace, Splash of Verse 2007/2008 (unsure)
Love, Patchwork Musings 2009
Treacherous Tolerance, Reflections 2010

Copyright: Dana Renee' Billingsley, 2006 - Current
(AKA Gurl23 - joined TPS Feb 2006)

rupertpupkin

Re: The “You believe in Santa?!?” Conversation

Post by rupertpupkin » December 12th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Hi. A wonderful heart warming tale. I loved the conversational tone and was pulled in completely by the story and indeed the story telling. I enjoyed the modern vibe to this fairy tale, the mobile phone and the tazer, Great job.

ImageImage

Jerryk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jerryk » December 14th, 2014, 7:38 am

Dana,
I believe! I believe there's a Santa Claus because I read your story, one that kept me fascinated right to the end. My wife will have to bake extra cookies and set out two glasses of milk for Santa and his cute elf. But will she fit into my stocking? :laugh: Nice one, Dana.

~verses from an old-fashioned bard; no ambiguities intended~
JerryK aka Alishonak, Snowbells, et al.

Dana Renee

Post by Dana Renee » December 15th, 2014, 12:08 pm

:) Thank you both for reading and commenting. This was one of my favorite challenges. I had fun with it!

ramfire
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ramfire » December 16th, 2014, 12:10 pm

A good Santa story. Wait till your children hear - they will go bonkers.